Vehicle wrapping is the fastest growing out-of-home advertising medium, delivering maximum visibility and impact for businesses and brands. So what, exactly, is it?
Vinyl wrapping is the covering of your vehicle’s complete surface with a layer of specialist vinyl – a plastic adhesive, UV-stable, product designed to last several years.
It can be single-coloured or digitally printed, so any graphic image is possible, and sometimes it is encased in a laminate protective layer.
Signwriters will (or should) prepare the surface of your lorry, van or car, and then apply the extra-flexible vinyl to all panels, manipulating it to fit folds and bends, to blend together seamlessly, by hand.
As vehicles and the designs are always different and specific to the model being worked on, the design, print and application is a co-ordinated, skilled process, tailored to each customer.
Wrapping is a top choice for 24/7 business advertising. Promoting a business via one wrapped vehicle, or a whole fleet, is effective in raising a profile and re-enforcing branding. It is visually arresting and memorable to your audience on the roads, outside customers’ premises and even when you are off-duty, it goes on working.
It is unique to you, removable and up-dateable as needed, making it a flexible promotional tool, which continues as long as you need it to.
For a more economical choice, wrapping can be applied to parts of a van, such as the sides and rear, still making a visual impact.
Or you can completely customise your vehicle and change the entire colour of your car, perhaps to the currently fashionable styles like pearlescent or matt finishes.
Our staff have industry-accredited training and we use quality vinyls (the more expensive we use, the better the finish and longevity.) Using non-branded or inferior materials for vehicle wrapping is a road to disaster!
With a typical product life of three to five years, vinyl also protects paintwork from scratches and stone chips. When it’s time to come off, paintwork will be in top condition underneath.
It is generally cheaper than a re-spray but it will NOT deal with rusty surfaces! And be aware that hinges and vents cannot be covered.
A FINAL WORD TO THE WISE!
As wrapping a vehicle is a complex tailored procedure, so it is wise to heed some words of warning!
- It’s easy for it to be done badly. If you are tempted to use a cheap, non-professional service, the vinyl could be sub-standard, the surface bubbled, ragged at the edges or worse.
- Once the wrapping is in place, you need to inform your insurance company and the DVLC.
- Bird poo is more of an issue, as it corrodes the soft plastic more easily than the paint underneath
- Wrapping will suffer spider webbing more easily (the swirl marks that appear on the surface) which means petrol station car washes are not advised.
- Vinyl covering will not solve rust/flaking paint problems. If the paint surface is compromised, it will come off along with the vinyl, when it is removed.
- Some people find that when they come to remove the vinyl, there are scratches in the paint underneath, from the knives used by fitters to cut the material to size on the vehicle body. (We use skilled-knife and non-knife techniques at Sign-Rite UK Ltd.)
If you decide to have your vehicle vinyl wrapped, we advise you use the most reputable fitter you can and avoid being tempted by low costs. A quality fitter will take pride in their work and should have plenty of vehicles and testimonials in their portfolio.
Visit our website at sign-rite.co.uk for our photographic gallery of work. #Trusttheprofessionals